Decorating your home can be one of the highlights of the holiday season but it can also be the cause of serious injury if you are not careful. Emergency rooms see thousands of injuries that result from holiday decorating and 12% of decorative candle related home fires occur in the month of December. Here are a few simple suggestions from the National Safety Council to help safety and common sense prevail this holiday season.
- When decorating, always use the appropriate type of ladder or step stool. Never stand on shelves, chairs or other furniture to reach high places.
- Be aware of the materials your decorations are made from. Flocking material and spray on snow can be harmful and irritating if inhaled.
- Angel hair is made of fiberglass and can cut your skin as well as irritate your eyes. Always wear protective gloves and eye wear when handling.
- Glass ornaments can break easily and should be placed out of reach of toddlers and small children.
- Keep candles away from trees or other flammable materials and do not leave them unattended.
- Make sure that candles are on stable surfaces and are out of the reach of children.
- Check your lighting and wiring to be sure that there are no loose or fraying wires and avoid overloading your electrical sockets.
- Live plants and greenery, though festive, can also be poisonous to humans and animals. Check with poison control to be sure your decorative plants are safe.
We know that, in spite of your best efforts, accidents still happen. If you or someone you know is injured, we can help. Please contact us for a FREE consultation.