Frequently Asked Questions About Car Accident Property Damage

At Handy & Handy in Salt Lake City, we strive to provide useful and educational information for our clients. We know the challenges you face after an accident. One of your biggest concerns may be how you will get around after your vehicle has been damaged in a crash.

Below are some of the most frequent questions our attorneys hear regarding property damage after an accident and our answers.

What do I do if my car was damaged in an accident?

You can get a rental car while your vehicle is being repaired or while you figure out what type of vehicle to purchase. Utah law requires the at-fault driver’s insurance company to cover the cost of transportation, including a rental car, while your vehicle is repaired or until a settlement is made on the total loss of your vehicle.

What do I do if my vehicle was deemed a total loss?

Your insurance coverage or the other driver’s insurance company should cover the cost of a rental car until a settlement offer is made. Once you accept a settlement offer, it is up to you to use that money to get a new vehicle.

Who do I file a claim with after an accident?

You can file a claim with your own insurance provider or the other driver’s insurance company. It depends on your specific coverage.

Will I have to pay my deductible?

You will not be required to pay a deductible if you file a claim with the other driver’s insurance company.

How many repair estimates should I get for my vehicle?

This depends on how many the insurance company asks for. It is often in your best interests to get a couple of estimates to repair the damage on your vehicle, but be prepared for the insurance company to request more depending on the specific policy.

Who decides which repair shop to use?

You choose which repair shop to use. However, you will be required to pay the difference if the shop you select charges more than the shop suggested by the insurance company.

What if my claim is denied?

If your claim with the other driver’s insurance company is denied, you can file a claim with your insurance company. You may also want to consider filing a lawsuit in small claims court against the other driver to seek damages.

Let Us Answer Your Questions

Our lawyers are dedicated to helping you learn more about the law and your options after your vehicle has been damaged in an accident. Let us help you learn more about your situation and create a plan for helping you move forward after a crash. Arrange a free case evaluation with us by calling (801) 264-6677 or fill out our online contact form.