Salt Lake City Slip And Fall Lawyer
Slip-and-fall accidents are second only to automobile accidents as the leading cause of accidental deaths in the U.S. If you have been injured in a slip-and-fall accident, you may be entitled to compensation. Experienced slip-and-fall attorneys at Handy & Handy are ready to help you get the money you deserve.
Experienced Slip-And-Fall Attorneys In Utah
Each day people fall down due to a slip or a trip. If you are injured by a slip, trip, or fall, the Utah slip-and-fall attorneys at the Salt Lake law office of Handy & Handy may be able to help you with your claim. Bumps or holes in the sidewalk, poorly aligned curbs, lack of lighting, food and drink on the floor of supermarkets or restaurants, and many other avoidable conditions can bring people down to the ground. Unfortunately, sometimes these falls can cause very serious injuries.
Who Is Responsible For My Slip-And-Fall Accident in Utah?
A slip and fall accident case can arise on commercial property, public property, or at someone’s home. If the accident was caused by negligence on the part of the property owner, they may be held liable to compensate you for any resulting damages you have suffered.
However, the mere fact that you were injured on someone else’s property does not make the property owner automatically liable for your damages. Several other factors must be taken into consideration, and you have to prove that there was a hazardous condition on the premises, which caused you to slip, trip, or fall.
How Are Slip-And-Fall Cases Handled
An experienced slip-and-fall accident attorney from our law firm will assist you with gathering the evidence needed to prove the property owner’s liability. This means collecting and preserving evidence, such as your medical records and bills, photographs, video footage, witness statements, and expert testimony, then seeking compensation, first through the at-fault party’s insurance provider.
Most personal injury claims in Utah are resolved outside of court through settlement negotiations with the at-fault party’s insurance provider. However, if the at-fault party’s insurance provider does not offer you a fair settlement, or if they try to blame you for the accident, you may need to file a personal injury lawsuit to obtain the compensation you deserve.
Our skilled Utah slip-and-fall accident attorneys prepare every case, from the very beginning, to be tried in court if need be. So, you can count on us to be prepared to try your case in court and win, if that is what it takes to recover a fair settlement for your injuries and other losses.
What Are the Legal Grounds for a Slip and Fall Lawsuit?
In Salt Lake City, several legal grounds may warrant a slip and fall lawsuit:
- Negligence: If the property owner or occupier’s negligence led to hazardous conditions, such as failing to clean up spills, repair defects, or warn visitors about dangers, they may be held liable for any resulting injuries.
- Premises Liability: As previously mentioned, premises liability law holds property owners responsible for maintaining a safe environment for visitors. Failure to fulfill this duty may result in legal action.
- Violation of Building Codes: If the property owner violated building codes or safety regulations, and this violation contributed to the slip and fall accident, they could be held accountable.
In addition, to establish a successful premises liability claim, the following elements must be proven:
- Duty of Care: The property owner or occupier must owe a duty of care to the injured party, meaning they had a legal obligation to maintain a safe environment for visitors.
Breach of Duty: It must be demonstrated that the property owner breached their duty of care by either failing to address a known hazard or negligently causing the dangerous condition.
Causation: The hazardous condition must be proven to have directly caused the slip and fall accident and resulting injuries.
Damages: The injured party must have suffered actual damages, such as medical expenses, lost wages, pain, and suffering, as a result of the accident.
The Slip And Fall Accident Claim Process
After a slip and fall accident in Salt Lake City, it’s crucial to take the following steps to protect your rights and potential claim:
- Seek Medical Attention: Your health and well-being are the top priority. Seek immediate medical attention for your injuries, even if they appear minor at first. Some injuries may not be immediately apparent, and prompt medical care will ensure a proper evaluation and documentation of your condition.
- Report the Incident: Notify the property owner, manager, or staff about the accident and ensure that a written report is filed. Request a copy of the report for your records.
- Preserve Evidence: Take photos of the accident scene, including the hazardous condition that caused the slip and fall. Obtain contact information from any witnesses who saw the incident occur.
- Do Not Admit Fault: Avoid making statements that could be interpreted as accepting blame for the accident. Anything you say at the scene could be used against you later.
- Contact a Slip and Fall Attorney: To protect your rights and ensure a strong claim, it’s essential to consult with an experienced slip and fall attorney. They will guide you through the legal process and advocate for fair compensation on your behalf.
Why Hire an Attorney For Your Utah Slip-And-Fall Injury Claim?
Pursuing a personal injury claim after a slip-and-fall accident in Utah can be complicated. But, a knowledgeable and experienced Utah personal injury attorney from our law firm can guide you through every step of the personal injury claims process until your case is successfully resolved by way of a settlement or verdict at trial.
The Utah slip-and-fall attorneys at Handy & Handy are capable and experienced litigators who have handled many slip and fall cases. We can provide you with the information, understanding, and instructions necessary to make your recovery process, or that of your loved one, as smooth as possible. We do this by helping you recover all the compensation you need to cover your medical expenses, lost income, and other losses.
Studies show that personal injury claimants who a represented by an attorney recover as much as 50% more compensation than those who are not. This is because, when you are represented by a reputable attorney, the insurance company recognizes that there is a greater likelihood that they will lose if the case goes to trial. They are, therefore, more likely to offer you a fair amount to settle your claim than to risk losing even more at trial.
Contact Handy & Handy For Your Free Slip-And-Fall Consultation
In Utah, snow and ice can cause dangerous conditions when businesses do not take adequate care to keep their customers and employees safe. Snowy and icy sidewalks, as well as wet floors due to snow melting off of people’s shoes and clothing, are hazards that are very dangerous, and present in Utah several months out of the year. Property owners, occupiers and businesses have a duty to keep you safe from these hazards, which they know or should know exist, when you are legally and lawfully on their property.
If you were injured due to a slip and fall, trip and fall, or other hazards at a place of business, or on someone else’s property, you may be entitled to compensation for your injury. The experienced Salt Lake City slip-and-fall attorneys at the law offices of Handy & Handy are here to help you. Contact our legal team today and discuss your case at (801) 264-6677.